Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pichichi

We have lots of chickens, turkeys and ducks that wander around the neighborhood but I'd never seen this one before. It was out on the main road as we were coming back from Melaque. It is obviously a type of duck but Lorena called it a Pichichi - also known as pijiji, pato maizal, pichihuile or a Black-bellied Whistling Duck in English.

Had no trouble getting close to it but only had my IPhone so borrowed another foto. Also saw fotos of hunters in Colima with strings of these ducks that reminded me when my grandfather use to duck hunt along San Francisco Bay.   The one here is domesticated but there are many in the wild - mostly along the coasts of Mexico.

My IPhone foto

Borrowed foto

0 comments:

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange