Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wanna try Correos de Mexico?









One of my neighbors works as a taxi driver on Sundays and was given a US $100 bill that he's unable to cash. I'm assuming the worn condition of the bill is why nobody wanted it .... but it also could be counterfeit? Trying to cash worn or marked up US bills in Mexico will most likely fail.

If I could get the bill to family up north they could try to deposit in my bank account .... or be told it's not real. I got no response from anyone that could mail a letter in the US so decided to try the Mexican Postal System. The only mailing options are regular and registered and registered lets you track. Problem is that little local Post Offices can't enter the tracking info so I was told it has to reach Mexico City before tracking begins.

Postal cost is $11.5 pesos for regular ... and $39 pesos registered

So in the mail it goes November 11th and on the 14th it shows up in Guadalajara. That's 3 days for what I could drive in 5 hours. Next notice was today saying they sent it somewhere. That's 5 days sitting in Guadalajara. Next question is does it still need to go to Mexico City or can it fly north from GDL.

---------------------------------------------------
Shipment Tracking
Date Hour Office Event
19/11/2014 10:03:00 Oficina Operativa Registrados Nacionales, Guadalajara, Jal. - Enviado a destino
14/11/2014 13:37:00 Centro de DistribuciĆ³n Guadalajara, Jal. - Recibido en destino

Total records: 2
---------------------------------------------------

I should have taken a picture of the bill for 'ol time sake if nothing else. I imagine updates will be quicker if it can fly north out of GDL but we'll see.  Just go to Correos de Mexico, click English and you'll find Track and Trace

0 comments:

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange