Monday, July 14, 2014

Use up those air miles

Sounds like a wonderful deal until you actually try it. Someone in my family has a bunch of air miles they offered saying anyone can use them so I went shopping.

A Mickey Mouse plane for me?

To use air miles you have to go through a given airline .... not a discounter like Orbitz.   I went to Alaska which I always use from Manzanillo to Seattle.  All they were offering with air miles was via Mexico City and an 18 hour layover somewhere.   Thanks but I was not interested in a flight that takes two days when it can be done in 7 or 8 hours.

So back to Orbitz and the usual Manzanillo, Los Angeles, Seattle run ... but for some reason all I could find was an over-night (sleep in the LA airport) on the return.   Usually my trips are same day in both directions and take about 8 hours.

Back to Alaska to see what they really had and found the same offered on Orbitz ..... except Saturdays. Saturday had the same good connections that I was used to and prices about $20 cheaper than Orbitz. The mystery is solved.  Now I get an email a day from Alaska trying to sell me something else. Can I order a Mickey Mouse plane?


0 comments:

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange