Monday, November 25, 2013

Love Hate my computer and all things connected

I just spent the last 10 days wondering why Java was not working in Google Chrome but worked with Firefox and IE.   Worked fine for over a month after the new system was installed.  The guys in the repair shop installed Avast for the virus program and it seemed to work so I left it alone.

Installed and uninstalled plugins and extensions.  Installed and uninstalled Java, finally with the special Chrome install.   Nothing worked.  Finally read that Avast was troublesome but in a different situation.  Had to give it a try so as soon as it was disabled I had Java back.   The main reason I needed Java is Disqus that runs comments on my Blog and many others uses Java.   I couldn't comment or even read them.

So now Avast is gone and I've installed AVG which I had for years and don't remember any issues.  I also scan manually with MalwareBytes at least once a week.   Hopefully everything will be cool for a little while.

The next issue was neither ITunes or my PC could read my IPhone like it was a hard drive.  Had worked that way for the 2 years that I've had it. That meant I couldn't access pictures I'd taken or upload music or videos to the phone.   That sent me on a search for some second party software and what I found was Syncios.   Sync-IOS (sync operating systems) works perfectly and is free.

When you download Syncios it asks you if you also want to download Mobogenie and for some reason I said yes when I usually say no to all the extras offered.  I had no idea what it was.  Mobogenie turned out to be essentially the same as Syncios but was for Android devices.   Install it on your PC and it installs on the Android at the same time.  That means I can download from the PC and it goes to the Android or if the Android has it's own Internet connection it can be stand alone.   It goes to a site very much like Google Play and we only downloaded a few games for my neighbors Tablet but I'm sure there are other apps.

Suddenly this morning I'm able to read my Iphone like always. Mystery or another Avast issue? All's well that ends well but I somehow think my computing future will not be trouble free.

0 comments:

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange