Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Win one - loose one

I probably wouldn't have noticed that this "Friday the 13th" is a holiday celebrating the Niños Héroes who died fighting the Americans in the Mexcan - American war.   I did notice because Jania has a school project and was working on it here yesterday afternoon.  Funny that they didn't know what the war was about or with whom.   Although the war resulted in greatly rearranging the US - Mexican boundaries I hardly consider consider it a victory.   True, Mexico owed the US some money but his could also have been the first major expansion and control move that the US became famous for in years to come.  A victory but not a valiant one.
The Niños Héroes (in English: Boy Heroes), also known as the Heroic Cadets or Boy Soldiers, were six Mexican teenage military cadets. These cadets died defending Mexico at Mexico City's Chapultepec Castle (then serving as the Mexican Army's military academy) from invading U.S. forces in the 13 September 1847 Battle of Chapultepec, during the Mexican–American War. One of the cadets, Juan Escutia, wrapped himself with the Mexican flag and jumped from the roof of the castle to keep it from falling into enemy hands. The Niños Héroes are commemorated by a national holiday on September 13.


And then last night we watched the US beat Mexico 2 to 0 in the World Cup finals.   That means the US won a playoff seat and Mexico has to win remaining games plus other teams with better records loosing.   Interesting to sit with a bunch of Mexicans who's team is loosing and me from the US and winning.   No hard feeling that I felt.


So we have a holiday Friday (maybe only school) and Independence Day on Monday the 16th.   We'll have to see if this is a 3 or 4 day weekend.   Neighbors say there will be a castillo on the Plaza after the Grito Monday so be prepared.

3 comments:

John Calypso said...

I am a fan of the Mexican team - Was sad to see the loss - I guess my allegiances came were left at the border ;-0 Viva Mexico!

sparks said...

I was kinda mixed ... but glad seeing them playing together. The US shunned serious soccer for so long I'm glad they are joining the rest of the sports world. My nephew played real high school soccer but before that there wasn't much. It's all good

sparks said...

I hear the Grito should be Sunday night .... not Monday the 16th

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange