Sunday, September 08, 2013

Six and a half inches in 12 hours

One real rain gauge reported 6.5 inches, some bucket gauges reported considerably more.  Sinks and pools over flowed.   I got another sink hole below my main roof drain probably requiring me to uncover my french drain and build a better one.   No leaks in the roof at least. All this and nothing on the weather radar but a bunch of clouds.

The main road into Pinal became a river bed again with the upper part requiring a 4WD or large pickup to get in and out.   The lower part (second foto) actually gets better because water washed sand fills all the potholes.   Water from here all heads for Melaque and the lagoon and this morning the lagoon was opened to prevent it from backing up into town.  Video is from a few years ago

Upper road - not many people this far out

Lower road a couple hours after the rain had stopped




A short one of the Marabasco River in Cihuatlan

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow, that is a lot of rain! I"m sure my friend John across from Cuestacuamote is unable to get out!
I think I'll wait til January to head your way......We had 2 inches here.......hopefully by tomorrow we'll have sun again.

John Calypso said...

Man! I suppose all that rain is heading this way - we are TIRED of rain - whether anyone needs it or not!

norm said...

On the drain: you might want to consider putting in another drain downhill or down slope from the one that is bowing out the top. I had the same problem here on my hillside. I dug a new pit and ran a pipe just short of the top of the first french drain into it and then another pit a little bit deeper and a bit down hill from the second pit with a connector pipe as well. I filled all of the pits with stone about a foot across and filled the gaps with one inch river stone. I still get a geyser once and awhile when we get more than an inch of rain in a half hour. The setup holds together well, it has been in place for about twenty years. My french drains are big, the pits would hold a small car before the stone was dumped in. I have three separate drain systems for 3000 sq foot of roof and the yard runoff.

sparks said...

With no more development going on over there that road could have been in bad shape before the rain

sparks said...

We're gonna dig it up and see what's going on when my neighbor finishes his current job. It was built with the idea of hooking it up to sewer someday so it's close the front of the lot with no expansion room. We'll see

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange