Sunday, November 20, 2016

Seasoning a cast iron pan


A friend brought down a new unseasoned 12" cast iron pan. I've never had a new one before so this is a new experience. I've been all over the internet looking for directions. Answers are all over the place for temperature, time and type of oil. From 225 to 450F or from a 1/2 hour to 2 hours. Flaxseed oil is recommended but any vegetable oil should do. There is a Lodge brand that comes preseasoned but it was considerably more expensive. Even one in a second-hand store was more. So now I'm just thinking.

I left it on the stove top and Lorena washed it while doing the dishes so she soon gets a lesson. All her pans like one of mine are ex-Teflon with no Teflon left. Think she scrubs with a metal pad. 


I do have a cast iron Comal that I really like but after reading I think it's ready for a reseasoning. Maybe I'll start with it. 

0 comments:

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange