Saturday, July 23, 2011

I'm trying bamboo

There's a large clump of bamboo in the vacant lot next door that I've admired for the last couple of years. A month ago it looked like it was dead. With our month long rains it suddenly sprang back to life, all the brown turned green and a few side shoots were popping out.

I've been warned about bamboo that "runs" rather than staying around a central clump. This bamboo has not moved from it's center more than a couple of feet in four years. A few of the new sprouts were relatively easy to separate with what looked to me like a good root ball. We'll see and I actually have three started to cover losses.

1 comments:

living.boondockingmexico said...

We have had a bamboo wall on both sides of our home for over 12 years. It never wanders. We trim it every couple of months and it is a 3 meter high by 50cm wide wall that provides privacy. Inside is chainlink with barbed wire on top that you can't see. Once a year, a few sprigs show up in the yard after the first rain and are cut down with the mower and don't reappear. We plan on planting it at our new home when we build. If you would like a picture email me.

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange