Monday, July 11, 2011

Adios Ryobi


I bought a Ryobi weed wacker just like this about three years ago to clear my lots. It has a metal blade to cut bigger stuff but soon found out it wasn't strong enough for anything but small stuff. Shortly after the pull start froze up. In the last year two tuneups were required including a carburetor rebuild.

Last week after the rebuild I was ready to cut my out of control grass and after 5 pulls the start cable jambed in the out position. I took it back to the rental/rebuild guys and asked if they wanted to buy it. I got 500 pesos and a free rental of one of theirs. One less headache for me and I'll continue to rent ... but not that Ryobi!

8 comments:

Calypso said...

Say it with me STIHL - the only way to go.

sparks_mex said...

Do they sell Stihl here? I paid 2700 pesos at the Vallarta Home Depot. Think I'll look for an electric

Steve Cotton said...

We were out in your neighborhood today.

Calypso said...

Sparks, "Do they sell Stihl here?" They seem to have a good presence in Mexico - at least in Veracruz and Oaxaca.

Not all models in the US are in Mexico - need to watch for that if you purchase NOB.

sparks_mex said...

Just had an offer from my 'wacker' mechanic about a Stihl electric for 3000 pesos. He says he'll buy it and I can check it out and buy if I choose

sparks said...

Bought an electric for 500 pesos and haven't looked back

John Calypso said...

One word: STIHL

sparks said...

Homelite electric has been great. If it breaks a new one for 500 pesos

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange