Monday, December 14, 2009

Six year Anniversary thoughts on Mexico

I started this Blog in December of 2004 and was a few months from retirement and a few more months from heading to Mexico. I didn't have the experience that Mike had from years in Mexico/Baja but I sure appreciated his attitude. I spent a few months in the late 1990's in Mexico City and had pretty much the attitude but not the prose to say it (still don't).

Just an anniversary post (repeat one of my first) ... and thanks Mexico

Great starting philosophy for my new adventure
More of Mike Humfreville's Stories

While we are traveling through an environment, anywhere in our world, and are not familiar with the surroundings, we are more vulnerable. When we exist in a static environment we grow to know the context in which we live. The local folks and their individual natures.

So, will we not go to the places in our world we are intimidated by? Some might not. But my choice is to face a reasonable danger, as supported by others, and learn something new, expand our lives. Grow the Earth with our new experiences. Cause us to evolve.

Anytime we walk out the door we face unpredictability. Every time we cross a border, a "frontier" in the Spanish language, we face change.

I've wondered through some pretty skunks places on our Earth, mostly as a young man, for good and questionable purposes, and have never been threatened. But I don't feel superior to a general populace and I don't have the bucks to drive a high-priced vehicle there and flaunt my non-existent wealth. I wear jeans and drive a Poor Old Truck (oh! Yeah: and I drink boxed wine of the highest quality - $6/5 liters).

I think you and your friends will find Baja California a pleasant place, a place that dreams are made of. Just read some of the wistful threads here and then experience Baja on your own.

As friends have already told you, protect your stuff in the border towns. That doesn't mean the border towns are bad, it just means there is a more dynamic work force and theft is more likely. Then imagine yourself in a tiny fishing village with a static population, one where everyone knows everyone else and their family and which would protect the basic values, even when you are new to them, of their village and you along with it because you are in their charge, and it's not intended for the five-O'clock News, but because it the right thing to do in their estimation. And their estimation doesen't need to be rewarded by the opinions of others, because they know they're right! That is the essence of Baja California.

That's the way many people think away from all the changing of the guard that happens in the larger cities anywhere on Earth.

I suggest that you and your timid friend "tackle" Baja. She'll bring you to your knees. And rightfully.

You will experience life in Baja's deserts and seashores and you will also discover how you fit into the real world.

0 comments:

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange