Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Never another cat


This cat never became a lap cat because the group I was living with ended up with five cats. One from Barbara who couldn't take her north. The other four I have no idea but they were not feral. 

When I started building the house I was living alone and five was too many. Gave a couple away to locals and a couple in Chapala wanted two. Unknown to me the couple in Chapala had two large dogs. The dogs were curious and the wife was holding a cat near her face. One scratch on her check was enough to not want the cats. Luckily it was Tianguis day in Ajijic and the local animal lady was there. She willingly accepted the cats but I gave her 500 pesos for food. Now I have two cats.

Barbara's cat was once a street cat and never really became tame. She would hide in my 5th wheel next to the house construction. After 6-8 months I advertised the 5th wheel and someone in La Manzanilla knew someone.  Turns out it was a circus group and they had a truck to haul it. I went through it cleaning out all my stuff but "Molly" had a hiding place I did not know about. Needless to say, Molly joined the circus.

Now for my one cat, Tomas, His food is now outside because I got tired letting him in every 15 minutes. The problem with that is neighborhood cats are over in minutes and Tomas sits there watching them eat his food. I chased the other cats off today and my dog is there in minutes. Coyota likes Whiskers more than dog food. Now the cat food goes up on a shelf quickly.

The last part of the story is Tomas catches way too many birds though he does eat most of them. He also catches lizards and usually eats a little and vomits. He will even try to kill small Iguanas. 

I don't know how long cats live but Tomas is at least 10 years old. His passing is the only option to get some release. Never another cat, Dogs are great and can really become a buddy.

0 comments:

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange