Thursday, November 08, 2012

Retirees forced out of Mexico

Well it certainly seems that  way with the new immigration rules published this morning.   I know tons of people who either own a home or rely on cheap rent so do well with the old income requirements of $12-1300us a month.   To raise that limit almost $800 is going to be a problem for many.  It gets especially spooky when people who have lived here for 10+ years as home owners talk about being forced to sell and leave because their house is not worth $195K and they have a modest income.   Then we have all the people, mainly on the coast, who own Ejido land and don't have title so value of the house is irrelevant ... it's not really theirs.  I'm in the twilight zone as far as income but adjusting it now would not give me the 6 months required in January.   Do we need to look for another place to live?

  • Original and copy of proof of investments or bank accounts with an average worth over the previous year equivalent to $95,000.00 USD;
  • Original and copy of documents that prove that the foreigner has had for the previous six months an income from a job (outside of Mexico) or a pension that pays at least $1,950.00 USD per month;
  • Proof of a any familiar bond with another Temporary or Permanent Resident or a marital (or equivalent) bond with a Mexican;
  • Original and copy of a notarized public deed showing ownership (or trust rights) to a property in Mexico worth at least $195,000.00 USD; 
  • Proof of participation of at least $100,000.00 USD in a Mexican company;
  • Proof of ownership in heavy equipment or machinery in Mexico worth more than $100,000.00 USD; OR
  • Proof of doing business in Mexico and legally creating at least 5 jobs for Mexicans.
  • Original and copy of proof of investments or bank accounts with an average worth over the previous year equivalent to $95,000.00 USD;
  • Original and copy of documents that prove that the foreigner has had for the previous six months an income from a job (outside of Mexico) or a pension that pays at least $2,400.00 USD per month;
  • Proof of parent-child bond with a Mexican citizen by birth (this would be birth certificates of everyone involved, plus any other documents proving the citizenship of the Mexican citizen);
  • Proof of the same parent-child bond with another Permanent Resident; OR
  • Proof that you have enough points (based on a points system that still hasn’t been published).


Nancy Dardarian said...

Yikes, this is going to really make a mess of things. I know lots of retirees who own their own home (many worth nowhere near $195,000) and have pensions but don't have huge amounts of money in the bank or ownership in Mexican corporations. This is really scary.

Axixic said...

If you have been here legally longer than 4 years you can convert to permanante without the income requirement (I think.)

Article 44.Tab of the process for change of condition of stay at the modality, resident temporary to permanent resident:

Resolution criteria:
I. Stay of temporary resident status holder able to change the status of resident standing by:
( to) System of points;
( b) Be retired or pensioner that you perceived the outer sufficient resources to live in national territory, or
( c) Four years that have elapsed since it has temporary resident permit.
II. In the case of applications submitted by four years as a temporary resident, having passed the immigration authority will verify such circumstance.
III. The immigration authority may cancel the status of resident temporary by the above-mentioned causes in the 64 articles of law and regulation 163.

Important information for the user:
- In case of positive resolution foreign person must submit requirements corresponding to issue immigration document for authorization of
condition of stay in terms of article 33 of the present guidelines.
- The foreign person who changes temporary resident, permanent resident shall continue inform any change of status, change of a different
nationality to which entered, domicile or workplace as set forth in section 63 of the Act.
In case of failure to comply with this obligation shall be creditor to the penalties provided for in article law 158.

sparks said...

That would be nice but there's also the question of giving past years credit. Like I'm on my second renewal but actually here 7 years

sparks said...

Hopefull some adjustments and/or exceptions for people that have been in Mexico awhile

Axixic said...

I think you should be able to prove through immigration that you have been here longer than 4 years. I'm on my second FM3 also and have been here about 7 years. I'm sure it's in the computer but if not I still have copies of my first booklet.

John Calypso said...

As Nancy suggests - this is a real mess! Perhaps someone will come to their senses? My brother-in-law ran to the IM oficina trying to get his FMT coverted - but NO - mow you must return to your state of origin and go to a Mexican Consulate to apply for an FM3/2.. He was turned away saying he was a day late.

He planned on getting the FM3 in January - but now must spend the money to return to the U.S and get papers there (it used to be that way and then no FM's from a U.S. consulate - not it is mandatory - smacks of some homeland security scenario.

sparks said...

I found a copy of my 2006 application and my old booklet. Fingers crossed

sparks said...

Didn't even think of new applicants .... that's too bad

Axixic said...

Those of us who are not tied down with property need to find another country. Obviously Mexico doesn't want our business.

barbara eckrote said...

Yup, I just wrote about this fiasco today also. An FM-3 holder can go to the border, get a tourist visa that is marked correctly, not just as a tourist, bring that in to apply for FM-3 in the town they are going to live in, according to the INM office here in SMA. What a mess!

sparks said...

Both Manzanillo and Mazatlan are giving time in country credit to FM3 holders. Easy renewals with only 3 months of "copies" of bank statements. No mention of income level required

Axixic said...

I guess we need to come there to get our FM3s converted.

Anonymous said...

As a Mexican citizen this is utter BS. Reminds me of how the PRI pre-Fox used to act without using common sense. Towns that rely on ExPat business be damned. Would the US or Canadian Embassy care enough to raise some concern?

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog