Saturday, August 20, 2011

My first crop of corn

Some friends brought down some Peaches and Cream sweet corn seeds from up north and I was given a few. I really didn't expect much as I've never grown corn before. I usually grow green veggies, fruit or flowers.

So I was surprised to suddenly see the male tassels pop out on top of some of the larger stalks and the very begining of ears forming off the large leafs. The male seeds/pollen will drop onto the silk of the ear below and growth will begin. These fotos are at a little over 4 weeks and if I'm lucky like the article below I may have the first ear by week 9 or 10.  I planted in other places around the garden and they are all moving slower.   I assume the soil condition makes the difference but we'll see.

The male seed tassels that will pollenate the ear below

Ear starting to form off the large leaf


Foto from another article on Peaches and Cream corn


Due to the hot and muggy weather this summer, my corn was ready to harvest 9 weeks after I planted it. I originally estimated my corn would be ready on Tuesday, September 5th, but I picked my first ear on Thursday, August 12th. The ears did not get as big as others I have seen, but the corn is fully developed inside. The signs of corn being ready, is that the silk turns brown, and when you push on a kernel with your finger, a watery white substance comes out. If it’s more chunky, than it’s too early, if it’s clear then you waited too long.

2 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

If I ever get settled in, I too may join you in the farmer role.

sparks_mex said...

It's been interesting. Between wind and rain, a digging dog, soil quality around the yard and finding a few worms on the corn ... I have no idea what I'll end up with.

Will be more prepared next year

The construction of the house finished in April 2011 and I'm pretty much settled in. As of March 2014 I'm in preparation for rain mode for this coming summer. That includes sealing and painting things and dealing with drainage issues from last year.

Sparks Mexico Web
Manzanillo Information
House building in Pinal Villa

Archivo del blog

Expat.com

Expat Exchange